What your podiatrist in Fort Myers wants you to know
Diabetes is a common disease, affecting over 29 million people in the United States, according to the American Diabetes Association. The disease can damage or compromise many areas of your body including your nervous, immune and circulatory systems. It can also cause significant problems in your feet, resulting in pain, difficulty walking and a decreased quality of life. Dr. Brian Doerr, podiatrist in Fort Myers, FL, is an expert in caring for diabetic feet and wants to share his knowledge with you.
Because diabetes attacks your nervous system, you may experience diabetic neuropathy, a condition that is very painful. Your feet may become desensitized so you don’t feel any damage to your feet. You can develop problems with walking, causing decreased mobility and a lower quality of life.
If your immune system is impaired, you can’t fight off infection. You may develop a diabetic ulcer. Even simple blisters, cuts or scratches can become infected and cause serious mobility problems.
Diabetes-related circulatory problems can limit the amount of blood reaching your feet. This lack of sufficient blood flow can cause ischemia and tissue death in your feet and toes, possibly resulting in amputation.
Your podiatrist in Fort Myers wants you to know some simple tricks to help protect your feet from diabetes-related injuries or problems. You should remember to:
- Wear cushioned socks and comfortable shoes; don’t go barefoot because you may injure your feet.
- Examine your feet daily, even using a hand mirror to see the soles of your feet.
- Protect and bandage any injuries including blisters, bruises or cuts.
- Wash, dry and apply lotion to your feet every day.
- Trim toenails straight across to prevent an ingrown toenail.
- Move your toes and ankles frequently to boost circulation.
- Stay away from hot water because you can burn your feet and not feel it.
Don’t forget to schedule regular visits with your podiatrist. Professional care is a vital part of taking care of your feet and you deserve the services of an expert. Call Dr. Doerr, podiatrist in Fort Myers, FL, to help you. Call today and take care of your feet, so they can take care of you!