What your podiatrist in Fort Myers wants you to know
You don’t have to be an athlete to experience heel pain. If you have experienced, or are currently suffering from heel pain, it’s time to get some relief. Dr. Brian Doerr in Fort Myers, FL wants to help relieve your heel pain.
Sports can play a role in developing heel pain, but there are other causes too, including the development of:
- Inflammation--where the Achilles tendon attaches to your heel
- Heel spurs--which are hard calcium deposits on your heel
- Stone bruises--caused from stepping on sharp objects and bruising your heel
The most common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis, an inflammatory condition in the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue on your heel. Plantar fasciitis is common in runners, but can also happen if you are carrying excess weight or standing and walking on hard surfaces for an extended period of time.
If you are suffering from heel pain, Dr. Doerr recommends these simple strategies to get relief:
- Stretching your arches and Achilles tendons each day
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Wearing supportive shoes with heel inserts
If your heel pain doesn’t respond to home therapy, it’s time to see your podiatrist in Fort Myers. Dr. Doerr will suggest one or more effective treatments including:
- Custom-fit orthotics and shoe inserts
- Physical therapy and stretching
- Pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment
In rare cases, surgery may be recommended to alleviate pain and increase flexibility.
You don’t have to let heel pain keep you from living your life. It’s time to get back on your feet and enjoy your daily activities. It’s time to call Dr. Doerr, your podiatrist in Fort Myers, FL. Call today and get relief from your heel pain!