Find out why maintaining good foot health is imperative when you have diabetes.
Whether you’ve just recently found out that you have diabetes or you’ve had it for a while, it’s important that you consider the impact this could have on your feet. After all, foot complications are far more common and can be serious in those with diabetes. Our Fort Myers, FL podiatrist, Dr. Brian Doerr, is here to tell you what to watch out for if you have diabetes.
Examine Your Feet
Since diabetes can affect blood flow to the extremities and can also cause nerve damage, it’s now more important than ever that you keep your feet as healthy as possible to prevent serious issues. This means providing your feet with the proper care they need to prevent amputation and other complications. One of the best things you can do is thoroughly examine your feet every day. Here’s what to look for:
- Wounds, cuts or sores
- Cracked or burned skin
- Redness, swelling or skin that is warm to the touch
- Tender or sore areas
- Blisters, corns or calluses
- Ingrown toenails
Don’t try to treat these problems on your own. Make sure that you seek proper care from our Fort Myers foot doctor at the first sign of an issue. The sooner you get treatment the better.
Protect Your Feet
In a perfect world, you would be able to prevent these issues from happening in the first place. While there is no guarantee, there are certain things you can do to protect your feet from potential diabetic-related complications such as:
- Wash feet thoroughly every day (and then thoroughly dry them immediately after)
- Wear shoes and socks all the time (even at home)
- Trim toenails regularly
- Wear comfortable, well-fitted footwear, especially when exercising
- Consider getting orthotics to provide additional cushioning and support
- Keep blood sugar under control with medications, lifestyle changes, etc.
Do you have questions about how to care for your feet? Are you experiencing symptoms? If so, our Fort Myers, FL podiatry office is here to answer your questions, calm your concerns and be there for you when you are noticing issues. Call us anytime!